Which is better for businesses: Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?
When you are putting together a social media strategy for your business you need to consider the best networks to be on. While it’s possible to be active across multiple platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram it doesn’t necessarily mean you should be.
Each has a unique audience that’s looking for different types of content. This means that a carefully crafted marketing message designed for Facebook may fall flat on Twitter or Instagram.
So, how do you choose the best social network for your business or a particular marketing campaign?
Here’s what you need to know about who uses each social network, why they are there and how you can strike up a conversation.
Who uses Facebook, Twitter and Instagram?
One of the key requirements of a successful social media plan is to be active on the same networks as your customers.
Here’s an overview of who you can find on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram:
Twitter 2021 user stats
- Twitter users: 192 million daily active users
- Age demographics: 63% are 35 to 65-years-old
- Gender demographics: 34% are female and 66% are male
Facebook 2021 user stats
- Facebook users: 1.84 billion daily active users
- Age demographics: 65% are under 35
- Gender demographics: 44% are female and 55% are male
Instagram 2021 users stats
- Instagram users: 1.074 billion worldwide
- Age demographic: 71% are under 35
- Gender: 51% are female and 49% are male
These user statistics give you a broad idea of where your target audience might be hanging out. If you need more intelligence on your audience, take a look at how to create customer personas.
Social media user expectations
People use different social networks for different reasons. After all, if each network offered people exactly the same experience then the weakest would quickly drop off the internet.
Here’s why people use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and what they expect to see as they’re scrolling through their feeds:
Why do people use Facebook?
Facebook is primarily a place where people go to connect with their friends, family and people with similar interests. This is why Facebook groups have become so popular – they hone conversations around a topic and help to personalise people’s timelines so they see content that interests them.
Brands need to join in with these user-led conversations to make sure they are seen.
What do people look for on Twitter?
Twitter users are in this space to share ideas, catch up on real-time information and breaking news. It’s a much more ‘in the moment’ social network where timelines change fast.
People can organise their feed by interest, lists or hashtags but, even so, the posts they see will vary every time they log in.
Why do people use Instagram?
In just over a decade, Instagram has evolved from a mobile-first social network designed to share instant photos into a platform where users showcase their interests and lifestyles at any time.
They use Instagram to connect with friends, but also to follow celebrities and brands. Each person’s feed is almost like a social media look book, capturing things that pique their interest.
Getting your brand in front of social network users
We’ve talked before about social network marketing and how the only surefire way to get your brand in front of customers is by paying for advertising.
This is true across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
However, here are some additional tips that’ll help your brand be more visible on each platform:
Tips to help you be seen on Facebook
- Mix up your content by using images and videos, as well as Facebook live
- Link away less – Facebook wants to keep users on its platform, so posts linking to other websites will get less views
- Optimise your Facebook page for keyword searches by filling out your About section in the same way you would SEO your website
What works on Twitter
- Build a content strategy to post about trending topics
- Use popular hashtags
- Monitor what your customers are saying about you and engage with them
How to build your brand on Instagram
- Show up – post regularly, and engage with your followers and other accounts
- Use other Instagram features like Stories, Reels and IGTV
- Use a good mix of hashtags to make your posts more visible – include popular hashtags, relevant hashtags and niche hashtags.
Always tailor your content for different networks to maximise its reach and impact.
So, which social network is best for your business?
This brief overview about using social networks for business marketing is the tip of the iceberg. There’s no ‘one size fits all’ when it comes to creating a social media strategy that works for your brand.
Ultimately, you are the only one who can work out which social network is best for you whether that’s Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. The key is understanding your audience and knowing what you want to achieve. This is the starting point for every digital marketing campaign.